Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Birchbox and Ipsy February 2014


I'm so excited because it is my favorite time of the month again- Birchbox and Ipsy time. For anyone who does not know what these are yet, Birchbox and Ipsy are monthly subscription boxes contain deluxe samples and full size beauty products. They both have a profile you fill out so you get a box customized for you but Birchbox is more all around beauty products compared to Ipsy that is makeup based. Both are very reasonably priced at $10.00 each and I have been really happy with what I have been getting in my boxes. 

Now as tempting as it is to see what is coming to me in my box ahead of time, I have actually shown some restraint and resisted the urge to look and I honestly have no idea what is on the inside. 

I'm going to start with my Birchbox. So I have just opened it up and my first impression is I'm very surprised at how sloppy my box looks. The pink tissue paper is crinkled and torn and my card is bent. I've had Birchbox for 6 months and the box always looks very professionally put together so this presentation is not the norm for them and hopefully this is just a fluke.



Now onto the good stuff, what's inside. First up is the Agave Healing Oil Hair Treatment

This is an oil that your apply to your hair after you have taken a shower and it will help condition and tame your hair. I already use styling products for this very thing so it is going to be exciting to try this one and see how it compares. I just put this on my hair and the smell is amazing. It smells like a tropical fruit smoothie and cotton candy. I don't know how but it smells so good. This is a product that a little goes a long way so I only used a dime amount since I have really thick hair. I really think I'm going to buy this because my hair is so soft right now. This stuff is really amazing. I think it might be worth the splurge.

Next in my box is the Refresh Cleanser. 

The sample size for this is huge (2 oz) so this will give me an opportunity to use it for at least a week and see how much I like it. So after using this cleaner once I have noticed a few things. You don't have to use a lot at all to clean your face. The smell is divine. It is lavender so you get a nice little bit of aromatherapy there. It lathers up really nicely and my skin feels very clean but not tight. I am a little worried that it might dry my face out but I just followed up with La Mer Oil Absorbing Lotion (big thanks to my roommate for getting that for me).

I'm really happy I got the OPI top coat in my Birchbox this month. 

I've got a few polishes that are either too glittery or just not my color so this is something I can use with my existing colors. I also was in Walgreen's this afternoon looking at top coats and debating. I have a nail polish by Essie (Tart Deco) that I love but it chips so easily. I'm hoping this does the trick to make it last longer. The top coats feels really this when I apply it to my nail (over my existing polish) but it dries quickly and feels sturdy. The true test will be the test of time. 

The last two items come from Smashbox and will work together. 
The first is Smashbox Full Exposure Mascara. I wear mascara everyday and unfortunately have been very disappointed with the mascara I just bought. My first impression of this mascara is that the brush is very sturdy and has lots of bristles. I feel like this is going to give me more control in the application process and really make my eyes pop. The color itself is jet black so it should be pretty bold and dramatic. 

The Smashbox Full Exposure Eye Shadows are all nudes but the top row is the glittery shadows and the bottom rows are more wearable during the day. The colors are really nice and I think that black is going to be awesome as an eyeliner.


Looking past the initial reaction to the sloppiness of the box, I am happy with everything I got. The eye shadows are a little lame because I would prefer to at least get a few days to test them out rather than one time but the other items elevate the box, especially the mascara. All in all, Birchbox is still doing a great job with the box and their online videos.

Next is my Ipsy box. This is the box that is more geared towards makeup.  Who knows, I might get those eye shadows I want. 


The theme for my Ipsy box is The Look of Love, so this one is very girly. First, everything comes in a travel bag that is usually very cute. This one is very plain and just a little pink bag. I've gotten a bunch in the past that I still use so this one I might just give to a friend. 

Also, the item that popped out the most to me is the Pop Beauty Fuchsia Freesia lip gloss
For whatever reason, I keep getting fuchsia lip glosses and I hate the color fuchsia. Look at all these fuchsia lipsticks I have received and I know I have more in my bedroom.

This is just not a color that I can pull off. I will say this particular fuchsia is not as bright so I will give it a go one night. The lip gloss package is great. It's not round so you have some leverage if you are having trouble opening it and the lid has a velvety texture. The gloss itself feels great on my lips and is super smooth and glossy. The wish the applicator tip was a little sturdier and had a slant to it for easier application but at least its not a super flimsy brush.
I also got some more nail polish from Zoya called Dot. It is a cotton candy pink color. I'm going to have to save my impressions on how this works for a couple of days because I just got a manicure but I think this would be a great color for a classic french manicure.

Eyelashes? J. Cat Eyelashes. I've never worn them before and couldn't even begin to tell you how to put them on but it seems like a good idea to have a pair of backup lashes. 

To go with my eyelashes is Violette Eyetini Cordial Cream Shadow and Base. This is a pretty glittery purple color and I can definately find something to wear this color with. I have a few other purples that I can build onto it with.

Last if a little treat for the New Year, a face mask. This is by Skyn Iceland and has two parts, blue clay and activating gel. I've never used a mask with two parts but this is supposed to be the solution for stressed skin.
So this month was an interesting month. The winner by a long shot is my Birchbox. I really want to buy the Agave Hair Oil. I can't touching my hair and feeling how soft it is. Plus I'm excited about the face wash, the top coat and the mascara. I need to learn to love a bright lip and embrace the fuchsia. I also had some fun with the pink nail polish and added dots over the Tart Deco. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment